After preparing the 14 pound turkey for the 4th Annual Friendsgiving I now have more turkey leftovers than I know what to do with! You may be in a similar situation so here is an easy, one-pot chili recipe that will put a new spin on your turkey leftovers.
In a large pot combine the cooked and shredded turkey, fire-roasted whole kernel corn, chopped green chiles, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, chili power, and Swanson’s Mexican Tortilla Flavor Infused Broth.
(I enjoy the fire-roasted corn in this recipe as it adds a slight crunch to the chili.)
Next, heat ingredients over medium heat and stir occasionally.
As the broth mixture is heating, drain and rinse the can of cannellini beans (white kidney beans).
Add the rinsed beans to the broth mixture and simmer.
All of the white “chicken” chili recipes I found online seem to end here, resulting in a chicken broth soup instead of a traditional hearty chili. So to thicken the chili I used my trusty secret ingredients and added 1 cup of instant mashed potato flakes and 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
I find myself using this potato flake/heavy cream combination to create many cream based soups. I like this thickener more than using a roux (flour and melted butter) or thick slurry (cornstarch and cold water) as it adds slight texture and doesn’t make your soup taste as starchy. Now you can add this thickener to your list of cream based soup secrets too!
Serve the white turkey chili with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion, and sour cream. Enjoy!
- 1 cup cooked and shredded turkey
- 1 can fire-roasted whole kernel corn
- 1 - 4.5oz chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 - 32oz box of Swanson's Mexican Tortilla flavor infused broth
- 1- 15oz can cannellini beans
- 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped Onion
- Sour Cream
- In a large pot combine cooked and shredded turkey, fire-roasted corn, chopped green chiles, seasonings, and the box of Swanson's Mexican Tortilla flavor infused broth. Heat on medium heat and stir occasionally.
- Drain and rinse cannellini beans and add to broth mixture.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add instant mashed potato flakes and heavy cream to chili. Stir until there are no lumps.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion, and sour cream. Enjoy!